[openstack-dev] [Keystone] python-keystoneclient v3 functionality

Jamie Lennox jamielennox at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 23:12:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

So Adam is right in that the general idea to transition people to using the V3 API will be to use the keystoneclient.session.Session object and that will do everything for you. This is not going to be an easy transition for everyone and i've got a summit session proposed: http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/205 in which i want to deal with precisely this problem.

Regarding your notion of openstackclient though, you need to seperate the concept of a CLI and the library.

Take for example Heat or Horizon, they communicate with keystone through the python-keystoneclient and nova via the python-novaclient etc. They do not use the keystone or nova cli utility. The primary job of the python-*client libraries is NOT to provide a cli. The cli is just an application that makes use of the library.

So yes, i think it has generally been accepted that the clients will move (at there own pace) to using openstackclient for there CLI, but openstackclient will still rely on the various libraries to do the actual communication with services.

Jamie