[openstack-dev] [Murano] MuranoPL => UML visualization <- best implementation practices?

Ed Cranford ed.cranford at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 2 15:54:21 UTC 2014

So it does, I hadn't realized that. The earlier message mentioned using a command-line tool to produce pretty graph images, and I figured I knew just the tool for the job.

Since you're already indirectly using Graphviz, if you're only using PlantUML for processing the output of umlgen.py into a PNG, why not skip a step and generate the Graphviz input file yourself?
Granted, it'll take some work to build a similar visual style--I see elaborate record nodes in your future--but you don't have to be bound to PlantUML if you don't want to be.
I've used Graphviz before for a few applications, and if I can help get you started with building dot files, let me know.

That said, weighing effort against result, you may just be better off sticking with Plant at least in the short term.
I'm sorry I can't suggest a simpler alternative for you right now.

From: Dmitry Teselkin <dteselkin at mirantis.com<mailto:dteselkin at mirantis.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Murano] MuranoPL => UML visualization <- best implementation practices?

Hi,

GraphViz is alreary used by Plant UML to produce output PNG file, see 'image generation chain' below:
* umlgen.py walks through MuranoPL class(es) and generated temporary file which contains Plant UML definitions for the entire graph
* Plant UML is called with that file as input
* Plant UML processes input file somehow and uses GraphViz to build output image

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Ed Cranford <ed.cranford at rackspace.com<mailto:ed.cranford at rackspace.com>> wrote:
What about Graphviz?

On 4/1/14, 1:34 PM, "Timur Sufiev" <tsufiev at mirantis.com<mailto:tsufiev at mirantis.com>> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Recently we've made an attempt to make MuranoPL class definitions more
>conceivable for everyone, and decided to use UML diagrams for that
>purpose. The most obvious (and quick) solution was to use a well-known
>tool [1], the command-line script which uses it is almost ready [2],
>and the final result seems quite satisfying to us [3] (pictures are
>drawn using current version of script). Moreover, we liked these
>diagrams so much that decided to show them also in Murano's WebUI
>(right after the uploaded App Package has been validated).
>
>But we're little uncertain about using Java-based tool in the long
>run: it doesn't seem to fit very well with OpenStack common practices.
>So could you advice some good enough Python and/or Javascript library
>for generating UML diagrams? The most important criteria is an ability
>to produce graphics as beautiful as Plant UML does.
>
>[1] http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/
>[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/83348/
>[3]
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pesyejyjo624o34/fCe1_OM-OH#lh:null-io.murano.En