[openstack-dev] [Tuskar][Horizon] Javascript linter

Kevin Conway kevinjacobconway at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:26:11 UTC 2014

What licensing issues were brought up that prevent the use of JSLint or
JSHint? Both are MIT licensed.

Granted, JSLint has an additional clause:

> The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil.

Maybe that's it? If so, Crockford has been known to make exceptions for
organizations that wish to use his code for potentially evil purposes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-JoyNuQJs&feature=player_detailpage#t=2480s
.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Peter Belanyi <pbelanyi at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we have been discussing the topic of Javascript linters for
> Horizon and Tuskar-UI with Radomir, and he told me that JSLint and JSHint
> can not be integrated into the test environment due to some license issues.
>
> I did some search and found Closure Linter [1] by Google which might be an
> alternative, and I wanted to get some feedback on it.
>
> Pros:
> - Open source, Apache License
> - Written in Python, available from pip
> - Used by Google, so probably it's production ready (or at least beta)
>
> Cons:
> - Javascript style is not configurable, it is hard coded to check The
> Google JavaScript Style [2], which might not exactly match OpenStack's
> desired coding style
> - It could take a long time to fix all js code to be accepted by the linter
>
> Does it look like something we could use?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>

> [1] https://developers.google.com/closure/utilities/
> [2] http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javascriptguide.xml