[openstack-dev] [Tuskar][Horizon] Javascript linter

Peter Belanyi pbelanyi at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 09:23:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Recently we have been discussing the topic of Javascript linters for Horizon and Tuskar-UI with Radomir, and he told me that JSLint and JSHint can not be integrated into the test environment due to some license issues.

I did some search and found Closure Linter [1] by Google which might be an alternative, and I wanted to get some feedback on it.

Pros:
- Open source, Apache License
- Written in Python, available from pip
- Used by Google, so probably it's production ready (or at least beta)

Cons:
- Javascript style is not configurable, it is hard coded to check The Google JavaScript Style [2], which might not exactly match OpenStack's desired coding style
- It could take a long time to fix all js code to be accepted by the linter

Does it look like something we could use?

Thanks,
Peter

[1] https://developers.google.com/closure/utilities/
[2] http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javascriptguide.xml