[openstack-dev] [Mistral] How Mistral handling long running delegate tasks

Kirill Izotov enykeev at stackstorm.com
Wed Apr 2 06:38:15 UTC 2014

Ok, i'll try to answer to both of you.

> > > For retries on individual tasks since taskflow supports flow nesting its not that hard to do this (although it might not be the most elegant).

> > > A running example @ http://tinyurl.com/kv8q2t8
> > >
> > > Room for improvement obviously (isn't there always), but that would/should work.
> >
> > That may be good enough: when DSL is translated to flow, and the task demands repetition with timeout, it's ok to do this trick under the hood when compiling a flow.
> > flow.add(LinearFlow("subblahblah", retry=XYZ).add(OneTask().add(Timeout(timeout))
>
> Yup, in a way most languages compilers do all these types of tricks under the hood (in much much more complicated manners); as long as we retain 'user intention' (aka don't mess how the code executes) we should be able to do any tricks we want (in fact most compliers do many many tricks). To me the same kind of tricks start to become possible after we get the basics right (can't do optimizations, aka -O2, if u don't have basics in the first place).

Mistral is not a compiler for TaskFlow, rather an interface. I prefer we don't do that, instead just map Workbook and Flow 1 to 1. If we don't, it would basically means we need additional structure to store Workbooks which should be compiled into Flows, which should be compiled to the execution graph... Isn't that too long? And the only profit here is to keep Retry intact. It's not the kind of integration i was looking for.

> > > Not all ways of using taskflow I think want to go 'asleep', some active conductors I would think actually stay 'awake', that’s why I was thinking this would be a comprimise, the usage of 'DELAY' (via exception or return) would allow a task to say it is going to be finished sometime in the future (btw started this @ https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84277/ --- WIP, likely won't go into taskflow 0.2 but seems like a reasonable start on something like this proposal). To me offering just the going asleep way means that all users of taskflow need to have some type of entrypoint (rest, mq, other…) that restarts the engine on result finishing. I'd rather not force that model onto all users (since that seems inappropriate).I understand and agree with not enforcing this model on all users. On a flip side, TaskFlow enforces the current model on Mistral :) It calls for supporting more models (to your earlier point of 3rd mode of operations). The BP proposal is a step in the direction but still a compromise. How can we support both 'active' and 'passive' models, sharing the same 'library' - of all things responsible for control flow and data flow?
>
> To me this is what engines 'types' are for, to support different execution models while using as many of the same components as possible (making usage as seamless as can be).
>
> > Here is a strawman (DISCLAIMER: this is sharing ideas and brainstorming: I don't know enough of TaksFlow to suggest):
> > 1) break the run loop: add engine.run_async() method which instead of looping the tasks till the flow completes (http://tinyurl.com/nou2em9),
> >  only schedules the first batch and returns;
> > https://github.com/openstack/taskflow/blob/master/taskflow/engines/action_engine/graph_action.py#L61-L68
>

> Seems like a possiblity, although I'd like to make this still a new engine type that does this (or maybe the existing engine types wrap this change to retain the usage that exists). This just seems like an extension of DELAY thought, where at each iteration the engine would return DELAYed, then the caller (the one executing) would become aware that this has happened and decide how to handle this accordingly. Exposing 'run_async' doesn't still feel right, maybe its just wording, but it seems like an 'async/lazy' engine just still has a run() method that returns DELAYed more often than an engine that loops and never returns DELAYed (or only returns DELAYed if a task causes this to happen). To me they are the same run() method, just different implementations of run(). Exposing the semantics of running by naming run_async exposes the underlying execution abstraction, which imho isn't the right way to make this happen.

I agree that we probably need new engine for that kind of changes and, as Renat already said in another thread, lazy model seems to be more basic and it would be easier to build sync engine on top of that rather than other way around. Yes, it will entail a lot of changes in engines that are currently here, but it seems like the only way to get something that would fit us both.

Since it seems like we are getting some kind of agreement here, we should probably start shifting to the plane where we discuss the design of the new engine, rather than the need of one. The idea has been spread over to many places, so i'll try to gather it back.

Lazy engine should be async and atomic, it should not have its own state, instead it should rely on on some kind of global state (db or in-memory, depending on a type of application). I should have at least two methods: run and task_complete. Run method should calculate the first batch of tasks and schedule them to execution (either put them in queue or spawn the threads... or send a pidgin, i insist =). Task_complete should mark a certain task to be completed and then schedule the next batch of tasks that became available due to resolution of this one.

Then, on top of it you can build sync engine by introducing Futures. You are using async.run() to schedule the tasks by transforming them to Futures and then starting a loop, checking Futures for completion and sending their results to async.task_complete() which would produce even more Futures to check over. Just the same way TaskFlow do it right now.

On the Mistral side we are using Lazy engine by patching async.run to the API (or engine queue) and async.task_complete to the worker queue result channel (and the API for long running tasks). We still sharing the same graph_analyzer, but instead of relying on loop and Futures, we are handling execution in a scalable and robust way.

The reason i'm proposing to extract Futures from async engine is because they won't work if we have multiple engines that should handle the task results concurrently (and without that there will be no scalability).

What i see is bothering Joshua is that worker that handles long running task may just die in a process and there is no way for us to know for sure is it still working or not. It is more important for sync engine because without that it would just hang forever (though it is not clear do sync engine needs long running tasks at all?). In case of sync engine, the role of watch-dog may be performed by the loop, while in case of Mistral it might be a separate process (though i bet there should be something for resending the message in the RabbitMQ itself). The common solution is not necessary here.

What am i missing here?

--
Kirill Izotov