[openstack-dev] [Murano] MuranoPL => UML visualization <- best implementation practices?

Dmitry Teselkin dteselkin at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 2 05:05:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

GraphViz is alreary used by Plant UML to produce output PNG file, see
'image generation chain' below:
* umlgen.py walks through MuranoPL class(es) and generated temporary file
which contains Plant UML definitions for the entire graph
* Plant UML is called with that file as input
* Plant UML processes input file somehow and uses GraphViz to build output
image

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Ed Cranford <ed.cranford at rackspace.com>wrote:

> What about Graphviz?
>
> On 4/1/14, 1:34 PM, "Timur Sufiev" <tsufiev at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >Recently we've made an attempt to make MuranoPL class definitions more
> >conceivable for everyone, and decided to use UML diagrams for that
> >purpose. The most obvious (and quick) solution was to use a well-known
> >tool [1], the command-line script which uses it is almost ready [2],
> >and the final result seems quite satisfying to us [3] (pictures are
> >drawn using current version of script). Moreover, we liked these
> >diagrams so much that decided to show them also in Murano's WebUI
> >(right after the uploaded App Package has been validated).
> >
> >But we're little uncertain about using Java-based tool in the long
> >run: it doesn't seem to fit very well with OpenStack common practices.
> >So could you advice some good enough Python and/or Javascript library
> >for generating UML diagrams? The most important criteria is an ability
> >to produce graphics as beautiful as Plant UML does.
> >
> >[1] http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/
> >[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/83348/
> >[3]
> >
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pesyejyjo624o34/fCe1_OM-OH#lh:null-io.murano.En