[openstack-dev] [nova] Questions about guest NUMA and memory binding policies

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 16:48:52 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Liuji,
>
> I'm the owner of bp support-libvirt-vcpu-topology,
> There are four main reasons that I did not continue to work on it:
> 1. the design proposal has not confirmed by core developers of nova
> 2. this bp is not accepted in Icehouse development stage
> 3. Daniel expects that this bp should consider together with the other one
> numa-aware-cpu-binding, but I have no idea to do this for now

This is probably only the tip of the iceberg, and I notice Dan has now raised a new BP [1] to try and consolidate these efforts, but in the first instance it may be desirable for the image to specific a cell, socket, core, and thread based topology - not just a socket, core, and thread based topology as previously proposed. There are of course still questions to be answered about how to ensure the scheduler has enough knowledge of NUMA cell layout from Libvirt to place these guests ideally and what ideal NUMA placement might actually look like in both these cases and the more general case where no specific topology is requested.

-Steve

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-virt-numa-and-vcpu-topology

> 4. I have no enough time to do this at this moment
>
> 2014-03-05
>

> Wangpan

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Product Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
Red Hat Canada (Toronto, Ontario)