[openstack-dev] FreeBSD/bhyve support for nova with libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 15:16:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 01:17:39PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 03/31/2014 01:01 PM, Michał Dubiel wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have prepared commits I would like to have it reviewed and eventually
> > merged that add initial, limited support for FreeBSD as a host to nova.
> > It includes basic networking via freebsd_net driver (similar to the
> > linux_net) and few addons to libvirt compute driver in order to support
> > the bhyve hypervisor. Intent for those commits is let other play with
> > openstack on FreeBSD and to provide a code base for further development,
> > as the current version comes with many limitations like:
> >
> > - Only FreeBSD guest OSes can be used
> > - No support for the config drive
> > - Only one disk and one Ethernet interface
> > - No pause/resume functionality
> > - No VM migration support
> > - No files injection to VMs filesystem
> > - Only works with bridged networking using nova-network with
> > Flat/FlatDHCP multi-host mode
> >
> > Unit test are included, however, for all that to work on a real system
> > you have to use a slightly patched version of libvirt as not all
> > features has been merged to the official repository yet. My question is
> > if that is applicable to be merged at all, or should I wait for all
> > necessary stuff to be in libvirt official repository at first? I want
> > also mention that there is an active work underway in libvirt community
> > to have all them implemented and included in the libvirt code.
>
> The limitations you mention are pretty severe, so I'm not sure this
> sounds like something we would want to include in that state.

Yes, this does sound a little bit premature given that even from the
libvirt POV we're not calling this production ready yet. If you want
to get a headstart on BHyve support in the Nova libvirt driver, then
I'd suggest a short term strategy of maintaining a fork of the Nova
code on github/stackforge, with a clean series of patches for BHyve
changes to libvirt. When we see this is getting to a useful level of
functionality, then it can be submit for review in Nova proper.

Regards,
Daniel