[openstack-dev] FreeBSD/bhyve support for nova with libvirt

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 13:06:18 UTC 2014

On 04/01/2014 08:20 AM, Michał Dubiel wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> My intent was to create a common code starting point, where others, who
> are also interested in bringing OpenStack to FreeBSD could develop the
> missing features, have it reviewed and do progress. Those changes are,
> as Roman have noticed, a work in progress, however, given the
> limitations (features not yet supported) it allows for working with VMs
> on FreeBSD hosts. We will gradually add support for the rest of the
> features.
>
> May I gently ask you what is the rationale behind the approach to wait
> till the entire set of features is covered instead of allowing the
> developers interested in making progress in bringing support for the
> FreeBSD to push their changes incrementally and eventually cover all the
> necessary features?

We've been continuously raising the bar on the code that can be in the
Nova tree.  That helps ensure that Nova is of a very high quality while
avoiding unnecessary maintenance burdens.

We've already started requiring CI for compute drivers.  I expect that
in the Juno cycle we will formalize a base set of features required for
any compute driver in the tree.  While we haven't decided on that set
yet, it sounds like it may be too soon for this platform to meet those
requirements.

An alternative would be to develop your additions in a new repository on
stackforge for now.  I'm be curious how much patching is needed versus
new modules.  The patches would be more painful to maintain out of tree.

--
Russell Bryant