[openstack-dev] [Trove] PTL Candidacy

Nikhil Manchanda nikhil at manchanda.me
Tue Apr 1 01:39:26 UTC 2014

I'd like to announce my candidacy for the Database (Trove) PTL.

I'm currently a member of the Trove Core team, and have been working
on OpenStack and Trove for more than a year and a half now. I've
helped Trove grow from the tiny stackforge project that it was, to
the OpenStack Database project that it is today.

Over the last couple of cycles, I've spearheaded multiple Trove
efforts including the implementation of Backup and Restore,
integration with Tempest, addition of developer docs for Trove,
installation of Trove through devstack, security groups support,
and most recently aligning with global requirements by replacing
mockito with mock. I'm familiar with the entire stack we're dealing
with, and have submitted patches to improve/fix Trove components
across the board.

One of my top priorities in Icehouse was to get Trove tests running
in Tempest, under devstack-gate. While we were able to accomplish this
and I landed a patch in Tempest that runs a set of Trove tests
in the integrated gate, there is a lot more work that we need to do
to get our Tempest test coverage numbers up. There's also the need to
add more integration tests for some of the newer datastore types that
we've added support for in Icehouse (e.g. Cassandra, redis, etc.)
I'm looking forward to working with the growing Trove community to
address this in the Juno time-frame.

During Icehouse, we also made a lot of good progress towards coming up
with a solid design around replication for Trove. One of my top
priorities for Juno would be to get started on implementing this.
We've also had some good initial discussions around the Trove
Clustering API, and I'm hoping to keep the momentum going on these, so
that we will be able to tackle Clustering once we're done with
Replication.

Some of my other priorities for Trove in Juno include:

- Neutron integration and support for Trove instances.
- RPC API versioning and a better backwards compatibility story for
  calls between the TaskManager and the Guest Agent.
- Better integration with Heat: This includes fixing some of the
  issues (hint: resize) we have with the current heat implementation.
- Taking a closer look at WSME/Pecan for our Trove API.
- Packaging the Guest Agent separately from the other Trove services.
- Automated, and scheduled backups for instances.

Being PTL is a lot more than just having the technical chops. It
involves looking at the project holistically, trying to gauge where
the roadblocks may lie, and trying to fix things along the way so that
the ride is smooth. As Robert says, it's a very much a social
position, and a successful PTL has to look at multiple indicators of
health: how much churn exists, are reviews drying up, are patches in
the pipeline stalling? I've been doing some of this as a member of the
Trove Core team, and I look forward to doing more of it if elected
PTL.

No PTL candidate email is complete without the commit / review stats,
so here they are:

* My Patches:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:slicknik,n,z

* My Reviews:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/-owner:slicknik+reviewer:slicknik,n,z

Thanks for taking the time to make it this far,
-Nikhil