[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Libvirt] Virtio-Serial support for Nova libvirt driver

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 18:21:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:46:02AM -0700, Ravi Chunduru wrote:
> Let me present an use case.
> Today Nova enables to launch guests of different types.  For real
> deployments we would need appliances from various vendors to run as
> instances.  Appliances can be Loadbalancer, Firewall, IPsec, Routers  or
> UTM etc.,
>
> These appliances can be tied up with Neutron Services and would need
> configuration from various services like FWaaS, LBaaS, VPNaaS etc.,
> One way to configure these appliances from Neutron Agents is by opening up
> the so needed virtio unix channel socket and reach the configuration daemon
> in the appliance.
> Other approach is by having a separate network for management activities
> and having agent to communicate to a daemon in netns to reach out to
> appliance.

Thanks, this is the kind of usage information I was asking for, wrt
host integration. This shows the use case for virtio-serial is as a
mechanism for integration between infrastructure pieces controlled by
the cloud admin, not as something that is targetted towards end users
of the cloud.

I think we need to have a detailed blueprint for this, describing the
use case(s) to be addressed and proposing some possible design(s).

Daniel