[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Libvirt] Virtio-Serial support for Nova libvirt driver

Ravi Chunduru ravivsn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:46:02 UTC 2013

Let me present an use case.
Today Nova enables to launch guests of different types.  For real
deployments we would need appliances from various vendors to run as
instances.  Appliances can be Loadbalancer, Firewall, IPsec, Routers  or
UTM etc.,

These appliances can be tied up with Neutron Services and would need
configuration from various services like FWaaS, LBaaS, VPNaaS etc.,
One way to configure these appliances from Neutron Agents is by opening up
the so needed virtio unix channel socket and reach the configuration daemon
in the appliance.
Other approach is by having a separate network for management activities
and having agent to communicate to a daemon in netns to reach out to
appliance.

For us, it means additional daemon in the second approach. In case of first
approach it is similar to Vmware way of configuring appliance.

Check this for reference
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010806

Please look from Network appliance perspective to enable this featue. I
welcome if you can suggest us if spicevm or generic qemu guest agent can
help. If so, how the adaptability with vendors can be solved.

-Ravi.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/30/2013 07:57 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> > On 09/30/2013 07:51 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> I'm not convinced that we should be in the business of adding features
> >> Nova for integration with arbitrary, closed source host components which
> >> we have no information about.
> >
> > +1
>
> +2
>
> --