[openstack-dev] [scheduler] [heat] Policy specifics

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 13:49:06 UTC 2013

On 27/09/13 20:59, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> Zane also raised an important point about value.  Any scheduler is
> serving one master most directly, the cloud provider.  Any sane cloud
> provider has some interest in serving the interests of the cloud users,
> as well as having some concerns of its own.  The way my group has
> resolved this is in the translation from the incoming requests to the
> underlying optimization problem that is solved for placement; in that
> translation we fold in the cloud provider's interests as well as the
> cloud user's.  We currently have a fixed opinion of the cloud provider's
> interests; generalizing that is a possible direction for future progress.

It's good that you've considered this. I guess the gist of my question
was: do you think that public cloud providers in particular would feel
the need to bill for some aspect of this service if they provided it?
(And, if so, how?)

The benefits to at least some private cloud providers (particularly the
ones using OpenStack for enterprisey pets-not-cattle workloads) seem
pretty obvious, but particularly if we're talking about incorporating
holistic scheduling into an existing service then we need to make sure
this is something that benefits the whole OpenStack community.

cheers,
Zane.