[openstack-dev] [nova] [scheduler] blueprint for host/hypervisor location information

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Sun Sep 29 18:11:29 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote on 09/29/2013 01:38:26 PM:

> On 09/29/2013 01:02 PM, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> > Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote on 09/29/2013
02:21:28 AM:

> >> Host not hypervisor I think; consider nova baremetal, where
hypervisor
> >> == machine that runs tftpd and makes IPMI calls, and host == place
> >> where the user workload will execute.
> >
> > In nova baremetal, is there still a "hypervisor" in the picture, and
is
> > it necessarily the same machine as the "host"?
>
> There is one or more machiens where nova-compute runs. Those machines
> are necessarily _not_ the same machine as the "host".

So the host is the bare metal machine where the user's image is
instantiated and run, and some other machine runs nova-compute to help set
that up, right?

When I do a GET on http://novahost:port/v2/tenantid/servers/instanceid
today, in a Grizzly installation running VM instances on KVM hypervisors,
I get back a bunch of attributes, including hostId (whose value is a long
hex string), OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host (whose value is a short name), and
OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hypervisor_hostname (whose value is the same short name as
OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR). Those short names are the same ones appearing in the
reply to a GET of http://novahost:port/v2/tenantid/os-hosts and also in
the reply to a GET of http://novahost:port/v2/tenantid/os-hypervisors.  In
the case of baremetal, will a GET of
http://novahost:port/v2/tenantid/os-hypervisors return things related to
baremetal and, if so, which ones (the nova-compute machines or the hosts)?

Thanks,
Mike