[openstack-dev] [nova] [scheduler] blueprint for host/hypervisor location information

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Sun Sep 29 04:52:18 UTC 2013

I have begun drafting a blueprint about more detailed host/hypervisor
location information, to support the sort of policy-informed placement
decision-making that Debo, Yathi, and I have been talking about.  The
blueprint is at
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/hypervisor-location-attribute
and the details are at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/HypervisorExtendedAttributes

You see I am a little schizophrenic here about scope.  The blueprint is
named quite narrowly, and the details page is named more broadly; this is
because I am not sure what else you folks will chime in with.

I am not sure whether this information should really be attached to a
hypervisor or to a host.  I proposed hypervisor because currently the
details for a hypervisor are a map (easily extended) whereas the details
for a host are currently a list of uniformly-typed contents (not so easily
extended).  But host might actually be more appropriate.  I am looking for
feedback on whether/how to go that way.  BTW, where would I find
documentation on host details?  The current page on nova extensions (
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/ext-compute.html
) is lacking most of them.

You will see that I have proposed what the API looks like, but not the
source of this additional information.  I will ask my colleagues who have
something like this locally, how they got it done and what they would
recommend to OpenStack.  Perhaps you good folks have some suggestions.  Is
there obviously one way to do it?  Is it obvious that there can be no one
way and so a plug point is required?

Thanks,
Mike