[openstack-dev] [scheduler] [heat] Policy specifics

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at theguardian.com
Fri Sep 27 14:46:09 UTC 2013

On 27/09/13 14:27, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> Stephen Gran <stephen.gran at theguardian.com> wrote on 09/27/2013 04:26:37 AM:

>  > I think that your use case for anti-collocation (which is a very good
>  > and important use case, don't get me wrong) is covered by using
>  > availability zones/cells/regions and so on as they are, and doesn't
>  > require much logic internal to Heat beyond obeying the constraint
>  > specified by a user.
>
> If there are five racks in the system and I want to say that two VMs
> should be placed on different racks, how do I say that with AZs without
> being overly specific?

If the admins of the openstack install wanted users to be able to select
placement by rack, surely the availability zones would be rack1 - rack5
?  In this case, the user would write:

   "Resources" : {
     "MyASG" : {
       "Type" : "AWS::AutoScaling::AutoScalingGroup",
       "Properties" : {
         "AvailabilityZones" : { "Fn::GetAZs" : ""},
         "MinSize" : "2",
	"DesiredSize": "2",
         "MaxSize" : "2",
       }
     },

This should naturally implement placement as spread evenly across AZs.

I think maybe this is where I think my disagreement is.  Heat should be
able to express a user preference for placement, but only within the
bounds of the policy already created by the admins of the nova install.
  To have Heat have more knowledge than what is available via the nova
API seems overcomplicated and fragile to me.  If the nova API should
grow some extensions to make more complicated placement algorithms
available, then that's an argument that might have legs.

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - theguardian.com

On your mobile, download the Guardian iPhone app theguardian.com/iphone and our iPad edition theguardian.com/iPad
Save up to 33% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164