[openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things together for Icehouse

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 25 19:57:20 UTC 2013

Debo, Yathi: I have read
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiPI0sfaWb1bdYiMWzAAx0HYR6UqzOan_Utgml5W1HI/edit?pli=1
and most of the referenced materials, and I have a couple of big-picture
questions.  That document talks about making Nova call out to something
that makes the sort of smart decisions you and I favor.  As far as I know,
Nova is still scheduling one thing at a time.  How does that smart
decision maker get a look at the whole pattern/termplate/topology as soon
as it is needed?  I think you intend the smart guy gets it first, before
Nova starts getting individual VM calls, right?  How does this picture
grow to the point where the smart guy is making joint decisions about
compute, storage, and network?  I think the key idea has to be that the
smart guy gets a look at the whole problem first, and makes its decisions,
before any individual resources are requested from
nova/cinder/neutron/etc.  I think your point about "non-disruptive, works
with the current nova architecture" is about solving the problem of how
the smart guy's decisions get into nova.  Presumably this problem will
occur for cinder and so on, too.  Have I got this right?

There is another way, right?  Today Nova accepts an 'availability zone'
argument whose value can specify a particular host.  I am not sure about
Cinder, but you can abuse volume types to get this job done.

Thanks,
Mike