[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Generalising racks :- modelling a datacentre

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 14:36:02 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 05:15 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> One of the major things Tuskar does is model a datacenter - which is
> very useful for error correlation, capacity planning and scheduling.
>
> Long term I'd like this to be held somewhere where it is accessible
> for schedulers and ceilometer etc. E.g. network topology + switch
> information might be held by neutron where schedulers can rely on it
> being available, or possibly held by a unified topology db with
> scheduler glued into that, but updated by neutron / nova / cinder.
> Obviously this is a) non-trivial and b) not designed yet.
>
> However, the design of Tuskar today needs to accomodate a few things:
>   - multiple reference architectures for clouds (unless there really is
> one true design)
>   - the fact that today we don't have such an integrated vertical scheduler.
>
> So the current Tuskar model has three constructs that tie together to
> model the DC:
>   - nodes
>   - resource classes (grouping different types of nodes into service
> offerings - e.g. nodes that offer swift, or those that offer nova).
>   - 'racks'
>
> AIUI the initial concept of Rack was to map to a physical rack, but
> this rapidly got shifted to be 'Logical Rack' rather than physical
> rack, but I think of Rack as really just a special case of a general
> modelling problem..

Yeah. Eventually, we settled on Logical Rack meaning a set of nodes on
the same L2 network (in a setup where you would group nodes into
isolated L2 segments). Which kind of suggests we come up with a better name.

I agree there's a lot more useful stuff to model than just racks (or
just L2 node groups).

>>From a deployment perspective, if you have two disconnected
> infrastructures, thats two AZ's, and two underclouds : so we know that
> any one undercloud is fully connected (possibly multiple subnets, but
> one infrastructure). When would we want to subdivide that?
>
> One case is quick fault aggregation: if a physical rack loses power,
> rather than having 16 NOC folk independently investigating the same 16
> down hypervisors, one would prefer to identify that the power to the
> rack has failed (for non-HA powered racks); likewise if a single
> switch fails (for non-HA network topologies) you want to identify that
> that switch is down rather than investigating all the cascaded errors
> independently.
>
> A second case is scheduling: you may want to put nova instances on the
> same switch as the cinder service delivering their block devices, when
> possible, or split VM's serving HA tasks apart. (We currently do this
> with host aggregates, but being able to do it directly would be much
> nicer).
>
> Lastly, if doing physical operations like power maintenance or moving
> racks around in a datacentre, being able to identify machines in the
> same rack can be super useful for planning, downtime announcements, orhttps://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/04919b4400b8c4c5ba706b752610cd433d9acbe1
> host evacuation, and being able to find a specific machine in a DC is
> also important (e.g. what shelf in the rack, what cartridge in a
> chassis).

I agree. However, we should take care not to commit ourselves to
building a DCIM just yet.

> Back to 'Logical Rack' - you can see then that having a single
> construct to group machines together doesn't really support these use
> cases in a systematic fasion:- Physical rack modelling supports only a
> subset of the location/performance/failure use cases, and Logical rack
> doesn't support them at all: we're missing all the rich data we need
> to aggregate faults rapidly : power, network, air conditioning - and
> these things cover both single machine/groups of machines/racks/rows
> of racks scale (consider a networked PDU with 10 hosts on it - thats a
> fraction of a rack).
>
> So, what I'm suggesting is that we model the failure and performance
> domains directly, and include location (which is the incremental data
> racks add once failure and performance domains are modelled) too. We
> can separately noodle on exactly what failure domain and performance
> domain modelling looks like - e.g. the scheduler focus group would be
> a good place to have that discussion.

Yeah I think it's pretty clear that the current Tuskar concept where
Racks are the first-class objects isn't going to fly. We should switch
our focus on the individual nodes and their grouping and metadata.

I'd like to start with something small and simple that we can improve
upon, though. How about just going with freeform tags and key/value
metadata for the nodes?

We can define some well-known tags and keys to begin with (rack,
l2-network, power, switch, etc.), it would be easy to iterate and once
we settle on the things we need, we can solidify them more.

In the meantime, we have the API flexible enough to handle whatever
architectures we end up supporting and the UI can provide the
appropriate views into the data.

And this would allow people to add their own criteria that we didn't
consider.