[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Ceilometer Alarm management page

Ladislav Smola lsmola at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 12:19:40 UTC 2013

Hello,
thank you very much for the feedback.

Ok, I have tried to go through the triggers an events.

Let me summarize, so we can confirm I understand it correctly:
======================================

The trigger:
--------------

- has a pattern - that is something like starting condition, that leads
to creating a trigger
- has a criteria - that is the condition, that has to be fulfilled in
some given timeout after
                          the trigger is created:
                          --- then it can run some action(triggered
notification pipeline) and it saves the
                               trigger(so it has query-able history of
the triggers)
                          --- or the timeout action ( optional
expiration notification pipeline).

Questions
-------------

1. In the example in
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/notifications-triggers
the pattern and criteria are a condition that are checking appearance of
specific events.
What are the options for the conditions? What is the querying API?

2. Can the conditions be tied only to the events? Or also to samples and
statistics, so I can build
similar queries and conditions, that alarms have?

3. If I have set e.g. trigger for measuring health of my
baremetals(checking disk failures), I could just set
both conditions(pattern, criteria) the same, to observing some events
marking disk failure, right?

If there will be disk Failures, it would create a trigger for each disk
failure notification, right? So I could then
browse the triggers to check which resources had a disk failures?

What are the querying options over the triggers? E.g. I would like to
get number of triggers of some type
on some resource_ids, from last month, grouped by project?

Summary
======

If the trigger pattern and criteria supports a general condition like
Alarms do, I believe this could work, yes.

Otherwise it seems we should use Alarms(and Alarms Groups) for checking
sample based alerts, and Triggers
for checking events(notifications) based alerts. So e.g. the health of
hardware would be likely computed from
combination of Alarms and Triggers.