[openstack-dev] Current list of confirmed PTL Candidates

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 25 09:29:47 UTC 2013

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> +2
>
> I think we need to as a community figure out why this is the case and
> figure out ways to make it not the case.
>
> Is it education around what a PTL is? Is it lack of time? Is it something
> else?

In my view the PTL handles three roles: final decider on
program-specific issues, release management liaison (for programs
containing an integrated project) and program ambassador (natural point
of contact). Note that the last two roles can be delegated.

If you don't delegate anything then it's a lot of work, especially for
programs with large integrated projects -- so if the current PTL does a
great job and runs for election again, I suspect everyone else doesn't
feel the urge to run against him.

FWIW I don't think established PTLs mind being challenged at all. If
anything, in the past this served to identify people interested in
project management that could help in the PTL role and serve in a
succession strategy. So you shouldn't fear to piss of the established
PTL by challenging them :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)