[openstack-dev] [savanna-dashboard] version 0.3 - updated UI mockups for EDP workflow

Liz Blanchard lsurette at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 20:14:39 UTC 2013

Chad & Nadya,

Sorry for the late reply on this, I've been meaning to send some thoughts and finally had some time today to pull it all together :)

First off, an additional place that you should feel free to post wireframes/design ideas and have a discussion is on our G+ OpenStack UX page:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100954512393463248122

We are actually hoping to move this to use Askbot in the future, but for now this community is still very active and you could get some reviewers there who might not have seen this e-mail.

As for these designs, I have a bit of feedback:
1) The addition of a high level tab for the main section of "Savanna" features might introduce some complications. I've been seeing a lot of developers adding tabs here which work if they are the only additional tab in addition to "Project" and "Admin", but it doesn't scale well if there are more than three tabs. We are trying to address this in a navigation enhancement blueprint for Horizon:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/navigation-enhancement

Hopefully in the Icehouse release, it will be much easier to scale out and add new sections at the top level, but I wonder if this would make more sense as a new "Panel" which would sit at the same level as "Manage Compute" under the current Project tab. Just an idea!

2) Currently in Horizon, there are a few "Create" modal windows where the modal is labeled with the action such as "Launch Instance" and the user is given one or more tabs of fields to fill out. The first tab is typically the "Details" section with the general fields that need to be filled out. There could be more tabs for more groups of fields as needed. If you take a look at the way the launch Instance modal works, I think the Job Launch/Creation modals that are being designed for Savanna could be more consistent with this design. This includes things like the "Add" button next to some of the fields. Here is a screenshot of the Launch Instance "Details" tab for reference:
http://people.redhat.com/~lsurette/OpenStack/Launch%20Instance.png

3) This is a small point, but I just want to be sure that in the table designs it is expected that there would be some overall table level buttons for "Launch" and "Terminate" that would allow the user to click the check box for multiple items and select this action. I see in one of the mockups that the checkbox is selected, but I didn't see any buttons on top of the table, so I figured I would mention it.

Hopefully this helps! I'm happy to chat more about these designs in detail and help move them forward too. Let me know if you have any questions on my thoughts here.

Thanks,
Liz