[openstack-dev] Basic questions about climate

Dina Belova dbelova at mirantis.com
Tue Sep 24 14:58:04 UTC 2013

Hello Mike, all.

We are planning to support both virtual and physical resources in Climate.
There are several documents that describe our view on how this service
should look like:

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Resource-reservation-service

[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vsN9LLq9pEP4c5BJyfG8g2TecoPxWqIY4WMT1juNBPI/edit?usp=sharing

[3]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprint-nova-planned-resource-reservation-api

[4]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-August/013415.html

[1] and [2] is mostly about virtual reservations, [3] - physical. Now we
have several Bps and Wiki pages, so we need to prepare one document for all
these thoughts, I suppose.

[4] is our (Mirantis + XLcloud guys) discussion about how Climate should
look like.

Generally speaking, for the virtual resources we should provide the
opportunity not only to schedule VM, volume or stack or anything else in
the future, but also to make user sure he will have the resources to run
his virtual resources in that future. That means not only creating schedule
to run/suspend virtual resources, but to create these resources some time
before lease actually starts in special 'RESERVED' status.

You may take a look on the links I mentioned (but really, we need to create
new document describing all features and architectural moments Climate team
is now thinking about).

Thank you

Dina

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Climate is about reserving resources.  Are those physical resources or
> virtual ones?  Where was I supposed to read the answer to basic questions
> like that?
>
> If climate is about reserving virtual resources, how is that different
> from "scheduling" them?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Best regards,