[openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things together for Icehouse

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 24 03:57:08 UTC 2013

Someone earlier asked for greater clarity about infrastructure
orchestration, so here is my view.  I see two main issues: (1) deciding
the order in which to do things, and (2) doing them in an acceptable
order.  That's an oversimplified wording because, in general, some
parallelism is possible.  In general, the set of things to do is
constrained by a partial order --- and that partial order comes from two
sources.  One is the nature of the downstream APIs.  For examples, you can
not attach a volume or floating IP address to a VM until after both have
been created.  The other source of ordering constraints is upstream
decision makers.  Decisions made upstream are conveyed into today's heat
engine by data dependencies between resources in a heat template.  The
heat engine is not making those decisions.  It is not a source of
important ordering constraints.  When the ordering constraints actually
allow some parallelism --- they do not specify a total order --- the heat
engine has freedom in which of that parallelism to exploit vs flatten into
sequential ordering.  What today's heat engine does is make its available
choices about that and issue the operations, keeping track of IDs and
outcomes.  I have been using the term "infrastructure orchestration" to
refer to this latter job (issuing infrastructure operations with
acceptable ordering/parallelism), not the decision-making of upstream
agents.  This might be confusing; I think the plain English meaning of
"orchestration" suggests decision-making as well as execution.

Regards,
Mike