[openstack-dev] Client and Policy

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 01:56:23 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 03:21 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> [...]
>

>         What if we rethought the organization just a little bit.
>         Instead of
>         having oslo-incubator from which we copy code, and then oslo.*
>         that we
>         consume as libraries, what if:
>
>         - we split all oslo modules into their own repos from the start
>

>     IIRC, we're planning to have a design session around these lines at
>     the summit. I think the only issue here is figuring out where some
>     modules belong. For example, where would we put strutils? Should we
>     have a single repo for it or perhaps have a more generic one, say
>     oslo.text, were we could group strutils, jsonutils and some other
>     modules?
>
>     There are plenty of "single-file" packages out there but I'd
>     personally prefer grouping modules as much as possible.
>

> I agree.
>

>     Another thing to consider is, what happens with Oslo modules depending
>     on other oslo modules? I guess we would make sure all the dependencies
>     are copied in the project as we do today but, when it comes to testing
>     the single module, I think this could be an issue. For example,
>     policy.py depends on fileutils, gettextutils and other oslo module
>     which wouldn't fit in the same package, oslo.policy. This will make
>     testing oslo.policy a real pain since we would have to "copy" its
>     dependencies in its own tree as well.
>

> This is a great reason to keep everything together in a single
> incubator repository until a package is ready to stand on its own as a
> library. Libraries can easily declare dependencies to be installed for
> testing, but if we start copying bits of oslo around into separate git
> repositories then we'll all go mad trying to keep all of the repos up
> to date. :-) In the mean time, any review pain we have can be used as
> encouragement to bring the library to a point where it can be moved
> out of the incubator.
>
> It sounds like the primary concern is having enough keystone folks
> looking at reviews of the policy code, without being overwhelmed by
> tracking all Oslo changes. There are a couple of ways to address that.
>
> The policy code seems very tightly associated with the keystone work.
> There's no reason for Oslo to be the only program releasing reusable
> libraries. We should consider having the Keystone team manage the
> policy library in a repo they own. I'd love to have the Keystone
> middleware work the same way, instead of being in the client repo, but
> one step at a time.
>
> Of course, if the policy code is nearing the point where it is ready
> to graduate from the incubator, then maybe that suggestion is moot and
> we should just continue to push ahead on the path we're on now. We
> could have people submitting policy code to oslo-incubator add
> "keystone-core" to reviews (adding a group automatically adds its
> members), so they don't have to subscribe to oslo notifications.
>
> How close is the policy code to being ready to graduate?

I would argue that it should graduate now.  Keystone is willing to take
it on as a subproject, just like  the keystoneclient code is. We
discussed  putting it in keystoneclient, since auth_token middleware is
there already.   Thus, anything already using auth_token middleware
already has the package.