[openstack-dev] Is "python setup.py intsall" recommended way to install Neutron Server in dev environment?

Vijay Venkatachalam Vijay.Venkatachalam at citrix.com
Mon Sep 23 17:20:12 UTC 2013

Hi,
                I am new to openstack, please pardon if the questions are dumb.

Attempting to run a neutron dev setup with openvswitch plugin with VLAN isolation and 2 hosts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not using devstack. Attempting to install the services in a controller node  - Ubuntu12.04 VM.

1.       In the controller node

a)      Services horizon/keystone/glance are installed using "apt-get". Yet to install nova.

b)      Also in addition, for development needs, we have cloned neutron from github

c)       ran "python setup.py install"
# Is this the recommended way? This seems to have installed all agents  "/usr/local/bin/neutron-*-agent"s as well in  Controller Node.
Thanks,
Vijay V.