[openstack-dev] [Heat] Questions about plans for heat wadls moving forward

Mike Asthalter mike.asthalter at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Sep 23 13:36:59 UTC 2013

Hi Anne & Steve,

I already have removing the "original" heal WADL in my work plan.

I am just waiting for the released version of the clouddocs maven plugin to be fixed (1.10.0) to support pulling the wadl content into the  api-ref doc (https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/docbkx/api-ref.xml) from the orchestration wadl in the api-ref site.

Mike

From: Steven Dake <sdake at redhat.com<mailto:sdake at redhat.com>>
Date: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:46 PM
Cc: Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com<mailto:annegentle at justwriteclick.com>>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] Questions about plans for heat wadls moving forward

On 09/13/2013 01:21 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Mike Asthalter <mike.asthalter at rackspace.com<mailto:mike.asthalter at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Hi Anne,

I want to make sure I've understood the ramifications of your statement about content sharing.

So for now, until the infrastructure team provides us with a method to share content between repos, the only way to share the content from the orchestration wadl with the api-ref doc (https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/docbkx/api-ref.xml) is to manually copy the content from the orchestration wadl to the original heat wadl and then use that for the shared content. So we will not delete the original heat wadl until that new method of content sharing is in place. Is this correct?

Hi Mike,
It sounds like the dev team is fine with deleting that "original" heat WADL and only maintaining one from here forward.

The way they will control Icehouse edits to the heat WADL that shouldn't yet be displayed to end users is to use the "Work In Progress" button on review.openstack.org<http://review.openstack.org>. When a patch is marked WIP, you can't merge it.

So, you can safely delete the original Heat WADL and then from your dev guides, if you want to include a WADL, you can point to the one in the api-site repository. We now have a mirror of the github.com<http://github.com> repository at git.openstack.org<http://git.openstack.org> that gives you access to the WADL in the api-site repository at all times. I can walk you through building the URL that points to the WADL file.

Anne,

Sorry for delay in response - I've been traveling.  I will submit a change to remove the wadl from the heat repo since  the api-site is finished.

Regards
-steve

What we also need to build is logic in the build jobs so that any time the api-site WADL is updated, your dev guide is also updated. This is done in the Jenkins job in https://github.com/openstack-infra/config/blob/master/modules/openstack_project/files/jenkins_job_builder/config/api-jobs.yaml. I can either submit this patch for you, or I'll ask Steve or Zane to do so.

Hope this helps -

Anne

Thanks!

Mike