[openstack-dev] sqlalchemy version regression

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Mon Sep 23 03:04:39 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 03:36 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>>> The errors we can see in the Jenkins jobs are:
>>>
>>> die 333 'keystone did not start'
>>
>> I believe this is the key - to our knowledge, openstack does not yet
>> work with sqlalchemy 0.8. We can't update the requirements for _any_ of
>> the projects until we can upgrade it for _all_ of them.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the full of OpenStack does work with 0.8.
> Or we have a regression in Keystone, which is possible. I will try to do
> more extensive tests, though it will be easy since I have at least one
> of my Debian repository that has everything built against SQLAlchemy. I
> will let you know once we've run tempest successfully.
>
>>> If it was only down to me, I'd say put:
>>>
>>> SQLAlchemy>=0.8.2,<=0.9
>>>
>>> in all of our requirements.txt, so that we have something predictable.
>>> Making a backport package of SQLAlchemy for Precise and Wheezy is
>>> trivial and not a problem.
>>
>> I'm fine with that - as soon as it works. Step one is to make that
>> change to openstack/requirements. This will update the requirement for a
>> devstack run. As soon as that change _can_ land, then we also need to
>> make sure that our unittests in every openstack project work with 0.8.
>>
>> Monty
>
> Cool, let's try to do that then.

OpenStack should be compatible with sqlalchemy 0.8.x at this stage,
or should be easily tweaked to be so.
sqlalchemy-migrate will be a bit awkward though as upstream
seems to have moved to alembic and is no longer that interested in maintenance/releases.
So what would be the best way to handle that?

For distros it's easy, just patch their latest python-migrate-0.7.2 packages with:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python-migrate.git/plain/python-migrate-sqlalchemy-0.8.patch
and maybe this for postgres support too:
http://www.mergely.com/editor?lhs=https://raw.github.com/lugensa/sqlalchemy-migrate/1f87b7c4/migrate/changeset/ansisql.py&rhs=https://raw.github.com/lugensa/sqlalchemy-migrate/master/migrate/changeset/ansisql.py

If we put these changes on a github repo "forked" from sqlalchemy,
would it be acceptable to reference that repo in requirements.txt?

thanks,
Pádraig.