[openstack-dev] [Barbican] MIME types vs path (secrets/{id}/{name})

Justin Santa Barbara justin at fathomdb.com
Sun Sep 22 19:25:21 UTC 2013

As part of my project to add a second implementation of the OpenStack API,
I'm implementing Barbican, and I'm struggling to understand the motivations
behind the API spec.

The API supports storing multiple secrets under a given key, the canonical
example for that being SSL keys which comprise a certificate/public key and
a private key.  That makes sense.

But, to set or retrieve the "sub-secrets", the MIME type of the request is
used.  'application/json' is special and retrieves the metadata.

Wouldn't it be much easier just to use a path ( i.e.
.../secrets/{id}/{name} ), rather than using MIME types?  Using MIME types
seems very un-RESTy, but I'll leave that argument to the REST police :-)

It seems much more complicated to use MIME types, so I'm betting there's a
good reason.  Can someone from the Barbican team share what those are?

(The API ref I'm looking at is here:
https://github.com/cloudkeep/barbican/wiki/Blueprint%3A-MIME-Type-Revamp )

Justin

---