[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] Should file injection work for boot from volume images?

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Sat Sep 21 04:02:04 UTC 2013

On 09/20/2013 10:47 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> Before https://review.openstack.org/#/c/46867/ if file injection of a
> mandatory file fails, nova just silently ignores the failure, which is
> clearly wrong.

For reference, the original code you're adjusting is
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18900
BTW, I'm not sure of your adjustments but that's beside the point
and best left for discussion at the above review.

> However, that review now can't land because its
> revealed another failure in the file injection code via tempest, which
> is...
>
> Should file injection work for instances which are boot from volume?

For consistency probably yes.

> Now that we actually notice injection failures we're now failing to
> boot such instances as file injection for them doesn't work.
>
> I'm undecided though -- should file injection work for boot from
> volume at all? Or should we just skip file injection for instances
> like this? I'd prefer to see us just support config drive and metadata
> server for these instances, but perhaps I am missing something really
> important.

Now I wouldn't put too much effort into new file injection mechanisms,
but in this case it might be easy enough to support injection to volumes.
In fact there was already an attempt made at:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/33221/

thanks,
Pádraig.