[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] Should file injection work for boot from volume images?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Sep 20 21:47:37 UTC 2013

Before https://review.openstack.org/#/c/46867/ if file injection of a
mandatory file fails, nova just silently ignores the failure, which is
clearly wrong. However, that review now can't land because its
revealed another failure in the file injection code via tempest, which
is...

Should file injection work for instances which are boot from volume?
Now that we actually notice injection failures we're now failing to
boot such instances as file injection for them doesn't work.

I'm undecided though -- should file injection work for boot from
volume at all? Or should we just skip file injection for instances
like this? I'd prefer to see us just support config drive and metadata
server for these instances, but perhaps I am missing something really
important.

Thoughts welcome.

Michael

--