[openstack-dev] stalled bug fixes for vmware driver

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Fri Sep 20 21:29:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     > Take for example https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40298/ , which
> fixes
> >     > an important snapshot bug for the vmwareapi driver.  This was
> posted
> >     > well over a month ago on August 5th.  It is a solid patch, is 54
> >     > new/changed lines including unit test enhancements.  The commit
> >     message
> >     > clearly shows which tempest tests it fixes.  It has been reviewed
> by
> >     > many vmware reviewers with +1s for a long time, but the patch just
> >     keeps
> >     > having to be rebased as it sits waiting for core reviewer
> attention.
> >     >
> >     > To me, the high-level take away is that it is hard to get new
> >     > contributors excited about working on Nova when their well-written
> and
> >     > well-targeted bug fixes just sit there, getting no feedback and not
> >     > moving closer to merging.  The bug above was the developer's first
> >     patch
> >     > to OpenStack and while he hasn't complained a bit, I think the
> >     > experience is far from the community behavior that we need to
> >     encourages
> >     > new, high-quality contributors from diverse sources.  For Nova to
> >     > succeed in its goals of being a platform agnostic cloud layer, I
> think
> >     > this is something we need a community strategy to address and I'd
> love
> >     > to see it as part of the discussion put forward by those people
> >     > nominating themselves as PTL.
> >
> >     I've discussed this topic quite a bit in the past.  In short, my
> >     approach has been:
> >
> >     1) develop metrics
> >     2) set goals
> >     3) track progress against those goals
> >
> >     The numbers I've been using are here:
> >
> >         http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-openreviews.html
> >

> > Its great that you have dashboards like this, very cool.  The
> > interesting thing here is that the patches I am talking about are not
> > waiting on reviews in general, but rather core review.  They have plenty
> > of reviews from non-core folks who provide feedback (and they keep
> > getting +1'd again as they are rebased every few days).  Perhaps a good
> > additional metric to track would be be items that have spent a lot of
> > time without a negative review, but have not gotten any core reviews.  I
> > think that is the root of the issue in the case of the reviews I'm
> > talking about.
>
> The numbers I track do not reset the timer on any +1 (or +2, actually).
>  I only resets when it gets a -1 or -2.  At that point, the review is
> waiting for an update from a submitter.  Point is, getting a bunch of
> +1s does not make it show up lower on the list.  Also, the 3rd list
> (time since the last -1) does not reset on a rebase, so that's covered

I see, I misunderstood the labels.  One thing to consider adding would be
something measuring the patches that have gone the longest without any core
review, which (by my current understanding) isn't currently measured.

Again, I think its great that you have these charts, and I'm quite sure
that its because of your use to charts like this that helped you be so
helpful in spotting reviewers that are stalled in the vmware driver and
elsewhere.  Thanks again for your help on that front.

Dan

> --
> Russell Bryant

Dan Wendlandt