[openstack-dev] stalled bug fixes for vmware driver

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Fri Sep 20 21:18:33 UTC 2013

> What criteria would be used to determine which drivers stay in-tree
> vs. maintained as forks? E.g. libvirt driver in, everyone else out?
> Open-platform drivers (libvirt, xen) in, closed-platform drivers
> (vmware, hyperv) out? Drivers for platforms with large (possibly
> non-OpenStack) production deployments (libvirt, xen, vmware, hyperv)
> in, drivers without (e.g. docker), out?

I think this is in response to demand, not necessarily desire by the
nova-core folks. IMHO, maintaining any sort of stable virt driver API
for out-of-tree drivers is something we should try to avoid if at all
possible. I think the potential option for having a driver moved out of
tree would be because the maintainers of that driver would prefer the
freedom of merging anything they want without waiting for reviews.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, however, there is a goal to get
every driver that is in-tree to have functional testing by Icehouse.
This is unrelated to a move for maintenance reasons, and is something I
fully support. If we don't have functional testing on a driver, we
should consider it broken (and not supported) IMHO.

--Dan