[openstack-dev] Medium Availability VMs

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 20 01:26:52 UTC 2013

> From: Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch>
> Discussing with various people in the community, there seems to be
> interest in a way to
>
> -          Identify when a hypervisor is being drained or is down
> and inventory its VMs
> -          Find the best practise way of restarting that VM for
> hypervisors still available
> o   Live migration
> o   Cold migration
> -          Defining policies for the remaining cases
> o   Restart from base image
> o   Suspend
> o   Delete
>
> This touches multiple components from Nova/Cinder/Quantum (at minimum).
>
> It also touches some cloud architecture questions if OpenStack can
> start to move into the low hanging fruit parts of service consolidation.
>
> I’d like to have some form of summit discussion in Hong Kong around
> these topics but it is not clear where it fits.
>
> Are there others who feel similarly ? How can we fit it in ?

When there are multiple viable choices, I think direction should be taken
from higher layers.  The operation of draining a hypervisor can be
parameterized, the VMs themselves can be tagged, by an indication of which
to do.

I myself am working primarily on holistic infrastructure scheduling, which
includes quiescing and draining hypervisors among the things it can do.
Holistic scheduling works under the direction of a
template/pattern/topology that describes a set of interacting resources
and their relationships, and so is able to make a good decision about
where VMs should move to.

Re-starting a VM can require software coordination.

I think holistic infrastructure scheduling is logically downstream from
software coordination and upstream from infrastructure orchestration.  I
think the ambitions for Heat are expanding to include the latter two, and
so must also have something to do with holistic infrastructure scheduling.

Regards,
Mike