[openstack-dev] Error during puppet run

Craig E. Ward cward at isi.edu
Thu Sep 19 15:48:27 UTC 2013

The mysqladmin command returned an error status. It could be that your mysql
root password is different from the one used by packstack, which passes it down
to puppet. You could run the command in an interactive shell and see what error
message gets produced.

If the system already had mysql installed, the root account password likely was
already set. If you don't need that installation, uninstall mysql, remove its
directories, and let packstack install it again. The command that failed
probably was issued because packstack/puppet assumed a fresh install and tried
to set the root password to something other than null. (A good thing to do with
a fresh install of mysql.)

If you need any of the databases already in mysql, then you'll need to find a
way to tell packstack to not have puppet do the install. I've only performed
some simple experimental installations using packstack; I don't know how to
tell it not to install mysql.

Craig

On 9/18/13 11:44 PM, Peeyush Gupta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to install openstack using packstack on
> Fedora 19. Now, when I run "packstack --allinone", I get the
> following error:
>
>   ERROR : Error during puppet run : Error: mysqladmin -u root  password 'b6ca73d0f2c4444e' returned 1 instead of one of [0]
>
> Can anyone help me to figure out why am I facing this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> ~Peeyush Gupta

Craig E. Ward
University of Southern California