[openstack-dev] [Tuskar] [TripleO] The vision and looking ahead

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Sep 19 15:08:32 UTC 2013

+1 :).

On 19 September 2013 20:08, Tomas Sedovic <tsedovic at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Some of us Tuskar developers have had the chance to meet the TripleO
> developers face to face and discuss the visions and goals of our projects.
>
> Tuskar's ultimate goal is to have to a full OpenStack management solution:
> letting the cloud operators try OpenStack, install it, keep it running
> throughout the entire lifecycle (including bringing in new hardware, burning
> it in, decommissioning), help to scale it, secure the setup, monitor for
> failures, project the need for growth and so on.
>
> And to provide a good user interface and API to let the operators control
> and script this easily.
>
> Now, the scope of the OpenStack Deployment program (TripleO) includes not
> just installation, but the entire lifecycle management (from racking it up
> to decommissioning). Among other things they're thinking of are issue
> tracker integration and inventory management, but these could potentially be
> split into a separate program.

Indeed. To offer a little nuance here - if you could just install the
base OpenStack once on some hardware, it would be pretty useless ;).
We have to look holistically at a deployment as something that takes
place over some years, and may scale up and down. There are lots of
things that can be added onto the very core of that problem - such as
in-depth historical performance analysis - that don't change how you
deliver the core solution - and there are other things - such as the
Tuskar resource class abstraction which do change how the core
solution is implemented/delivered.

So there is a big problem space here, and we may find down the track
that there need to be more programs focusing on higher-order problems
- like a full blown CMDB's with fault correlation over time-series -
but those things are big and complex enough to take on a life of their
own : we should integrate with them but not build them :)

> That means we do have a lot of goals in common and we've just been going at
> them from different angles: TripleO building the fundamental infrastructure
> while Tuskar focusing more on the end user experience.
>
> We've come to a conclusion that it would be a great opportunity for both
> teams to join forces and build this thing together.
>
> The benefits for Tuskar would be huge:
>
> * being a part of an incubated project
> * more eyballs (see Linus' Law (the ESR one))
> * better information flow between the current Tuskar and TripleO teams
> * better chance at attracting early users and feedback
> * chance to integrate earlier into an OpenStack release (we could make it
> into the *I* one)

We'll want to talk with Thierry about the process for existing
Programs adding new API server projects; that hasn't been done before
- I suspect the normal checklist will apply. E.g. stable API etc.

Cheers!
-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>