[openstack-dev] [Tuskar] AI "How does tuskar fit in with TripleO"

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Sep 18 16:44:48 UTC 2013

On 18 September 2013 20:59, marios at redhat.com <mandreou at redhat.com> wrote:
> I have an AI from the tuskar community meeting to come up with a
> description of how TripleO 'differs from' Tuskar. I have no idea where
> this will be used/placed and in fact I don't know where to send it:
> should we paste it into the naming etherpad, open a launchpad docs
> blueprint (seems a bit much, especially as I don't know which doc it's
> going into). Alternatively please feel free to change and use as you see
> fit wherever:
>

> "
>
>  How does tuskar fit in with TripleO?
>

> TripleO [1] is a blanket term for a number of subprojects - but the

Huh? TripleO is the OpenStack Deployment project codename: we're a
program focused on production deployment of OpenStack at scale. The
fact we have a number of specific projects to facilitate that is just
good engineering, exactly the same as nova having the server API and
client in different projects.

What you've written below is correct, but it's implementation detail :)

> Tuskar [2] is actually a perfect fit for TripleO and entirely depends on
> the TripleO concept and services to do all of the heavy lifting.
> Actually, Tuskar may in part be defined as a *design* tool. With Tuskar,
> you get a UI and API with which you can tell the undercloud
> nova-baremetal service exactly which OpenStack services (i.e. baremetal
> images) to deploy onto which machines in the datacenter. The UI
> integrates into the default OpenStack Horizon dashboard and allows you
> to define your datacenter in terms of Racks (groups of physical machines
> registered by id/mac_address) and ResourceClasses (groups of Racks that
> all provide the same Overcloud service 'compute' vs 'block_storage').
>

> In the simplest terms, Tuskar translates your definition into the
> undercloud machine HEAT template, allowing you to then provision your
> datacenter at the push of a button. Beyond this planning/design, Tuskar
> also monitors the datacenter, allowing operators to make most efficient
> use of capacity. Ultimately, Tuskar aims to allow you to plan, define,
> deploy and monitor your datacenter in an accessible, scalable,
> repeatable, highly available and secure way.
> "

FWIW I see keeping the deployed OpenStack up to date, performing well,
scaling it up and down, replacing hardware etc as all part of the
production deployment problem : we'd be delighted to have those
facilities be part of the TripleO program - but we have to walk before
we run :).

Cheers,
Rob

--