[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Bootstrap 3 update and problems with lesscpy

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 12:27:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've started working on updating Bootstrap to version 3 in Horizon.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/bootstrap-update

As I have described in blueprint whiteboard, I am experiencing compile
problems with the new lesscpy compiler that we started using recently.
The compiled css code is incorrect and when running the compilation from
terminal, about 200 syntax errors occur. This is related to certain
features of Less not being supported by lesscpy. I have created a GIthub
issue for lesscpy here: https://github.com/robotis/Lesscpy/issues/22 .

Sasha Peilicke has already started working on updating the lesscpy
library to support all less features needed to compile Bootstrap 3
properly. Although I think that it will take more than a few weeks
before lesscpy is there where we need it.

I have part of Bootstrap 3 update ready and as it is quite a large patch
I would like to get this in as soon as possible because any rebase to a
new Horizon master is quite tedious process. Also there are another
blueprints that depend on this update (font-icons and css-breakdown, see
dependency tree).

So I would like to propose to revert the patch that introduces lesscpy
library (a0739c9423 Drop NodeJS dependency in favor of pure-python
lesscpy) and use the lessc library for the time being untill lesscpy is
capable of compiling Bootstrap 3.

I have revert patch ready together with update of lessc library in
horizon/bin, which I can make part of Bootstrap-update blueprint and
send them right away to gerrit for a review. I have also tested that
with this setup the Bootstrap 3 updated Horizon less file compiles properly.

When lesscpy is ready to support Bootstrap 3, geting back to lesscpy is
then simple process of just reapplying the reverted commit.

-- Jirka Tomasek