[openstack-dev] [Tuskar] AI "How does tuskar fit in with TripleO"

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 08:59:21 UTC 2013

I have an AI from the tuskar community meeting to come up with a
description of how TripleO 'differs from' Tuskar. I have no idea where
this will be used/placed and in fact I don't know where to send it:
should we paste it into the naming etherpad, open a launchpad docs
blueprint (seems a bit much, especially as I don't know which doc it's
going into). Alternatively please feel free to change and use as you see
fit wherever:

"

 How does tuskar fit in with TripleO?

TripleO [1] is a blanket term for a number of subprojects - but the
basic jist of it is you start with a controller 'undercloud' machine,
meaning it is an OpenStack setup where the nova-compute service is using
the baremetal driver rather than any other hypervisor specific driver.
The TripleO concept is to use this baremetal nova-compute service,
together with HEAT (also on this 'undercloud' machine/available to it)
and diskimage-builder/TOCI to deploy OpenStack, with OpenStack. In other
words, with Triple-O you can use the OpenStack API itself to instuct
your undercloud nova-compute service to deploy entire OpenStack
service(s) (compute service, block storage etc) which become your
end-user "overcloud(s)" ( ;) ). This is frickin' awesome.

Tuskar [2] is actually a perfect fit for TripleO and entirely depends on
the TripleO concept and services to do all of the heavy lifting.
Actually, Tuskar may in part be defined as a *design* tool. With Tuskar,
you get a UI and API with which you can tell the undercloud
nova-baremetal service exactly which OpenStack services (i.e. baremetal
images) to deploy onto which machines in the datacenter. The UI
integrates into the default OpenStack Horizon dashboard and allows you
to define your datacenter in terms of Racks (groups of physical machines
registered by id/mac_address) and ResourceClasses (groups of Racks that
all provide the same Overcloud service 'compute' vs 'block_storage').

In the simplest terms, Tuskar translates your definition into the
undercloud machine HEAT template, allowing you to then provision your
datacenter at the push of a button. Beyond this planning/design, Tuskar
also monitors the datacenter, allowing operators to make most efficient
use of capacity. Ultimately, Tuskar aims to allow you to plan, define,
deploy and monitor your datacenter in an accessible, scalable,
repeatable, highly available and secure way.
"

thanks, marios

[1]
http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/openstack-on-openstack-overview