[openstack-dev] Backwards incompatible migration changes - Discussion

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Sep 16 10:31:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com> wrote:

> ++ Data backups are a solved problem, and no DB admin should trust an
> application to perform its own backups.

I'm not completely sure I agree. Consider the case where a cloud with
active users undertakes an upgrade. The migrations run, and they allow
user traffic to hit the installation. They then discover there is a
serious problem and now need to rollback. However, they can't just
restore a database backup, because the database is no longer in a
consistent state compared with the hypervisors -- users might have
created or deleted instances for example.

In this scenario if we could downgrade reliably, they could force a
downgrade with db sync, and then revert the packages they had
installed to the previous version.

How would they handle this scenario with just database backups?

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia