[openstack-dev] Virtual environment configuration for running Tempest tests

Kaitlin Farr Kaitlin.Farr at jhuapl.edu
Fri Sep 13 20:06:51 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I would like to write Tempest scenario tests to automate testing of a
few recent modules of python-cinderclient, but running the tests I
wrote gives me an AttributeError, saying the Client object did not have
the attribute I was trying to call.  When I tried to import the module
directly, I would receive an ImportError saying that the module could
not be imported.  I had no problem importing other modules from the
same package.

 From the console output during creation, the virtual environment seemed
to use a version of cinderclient downloaded in a compressed format
(python-cinderclient-1.0.5.tar.gz), which did not contain the modules I
need to test.  I made sure that the most recent versions of python-
cinderclient and devstack are cloned on my machine.

I ran stack.sh to start devstack before running the tests, so the
tempest configuration file etc/tempest.conf already included the details
specific to my environment.

Does anyone have advice on configuring the Tempest virtual environment
to use a more recent version of the cinderclient,  perhaps cloning it
from github instead of from the zip file?  Otherwise, perhaps I am off
the mark of where the issue really lies.  In that case, does anyone
have words of wisdom in general for creating new Tempest tests?

I appreciate your time and advice in advance.

Regards,

Kaitlin