[openstack-dev] TC Meeting / Savanna Incubation Follow-Up

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 17:23:47 UTC 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Alexander Kuznetsov wrote:

> Hadoop Ecosystem is not only datastore technologies. Hadoop has other components:  Map Reduce framework, distributed coordinator - Zookepeer, workflow management - Oozie, runtime for scripting languages - Hive and Pig, scalable machine learning library - Apache Mahout. All this components are tightly coupled together and datastore part can't be considered separately, from other component. This is a the main reason why for Hadoop installation and management are required  a separate solution, distinct from generic enough™ datastore API. In the other case, this API will contain a huge part, not relating to datastore technologies.

And having these technologies have made you make changes to the API from other data stores? Or technical decisions that would preclude you from inserting Cassandra in as another technology? FWIW, we have another talk [2] to talk about adding Zookeeper or etcd to our clusters for distributed communication. Im not trying to steal your API, i just see a TON of similarities here.

[2] http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/72