[openstack-dev] [qa] removal of tempest whitebox tests - moving to nova unit tests

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Sep 13 11:20:27 UTC 2013

Tempest has had a set of tests called whitebox that came in late in the
Folsom cycle. The idea being that you gave tempest db creds, and these
tests would check for the db being in a certain state after certain API
calls. It would also inject certain database state to get specific API
results. This was helpful in nailing some state races at the time.

But since then these have largely bitrotted, especially with the db
schemas moving as fast as they do. As we started trying to make sure
everything in the Tempest tree was actually running regularly these were
failing a lot. David Kranz and I recently looked at them, and what we
had seemed to be largely Nova state change tests (doesn't affect any
other service).

Going parallel made this worse, because isolation against the db is an
entirely different kind of problem than tenant isolation.

So, that being said the call we made on IRC and in the QA meeting is to
get rid of them, and instead port the checks that we had into Nova unit
tests (which currently covered about 50% of the state checks that we in
whitebox). This brings it closer to the project which seems the right
approach.

We are tracking this with - https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1222852

The Tempest half is now done, the Nova half has a volunteer.

While we are pretty sure that we got everyone's take on this, now is the
time to raise final objections to the approach.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net