[openstack-dev] [nova] [savanna] Host information for non admin users

Alexander Kuznetsov akuznetsov at mirantis.com
Fri Sep 13 09:44:26 UTC 2013

Thanks for your comments let me explain a bit more about Hadoop topology.

In Hadoop 1.2 version,  4 level topologies were introduced: all network,
rack, node group (represent Hadoop nodes on the same compute host in the
simplest case) and node. Usually Hadoop has replication factor 3. In this
case Hadoop placement algorithm is trying to put a HDFS block in the local
node or local node group, second replica should be placed outside the node
group, but on the same rack, and the last replica outside the initial rack.
Topology is defined by the path to vm e.g.

/datacenter1/rack1/host1/vm1
/datacenter1/rack1/host1/vm2
/datacenter1/rack1/host2/vm1
/datacenter1/rack1/host2/vm2
/datacenter1/rack2/host3/vm1
/datacenter1/rack2/host3/vm2

Also, this information will be used for job routing, to place the mapper as
closest as possible to the data.

The main idea to provide this information to Hadoop. Usually it direct
mapping between physical data center structure and Hadoop node placement,
but the case of public center the some abstract names will be fine if this
configuration a reflex a proximity information for Hadoop nodes.

Mike as I understand  holistic scheduler can provide needed information.
Can you give more details about it?