[openstack-dev] Cookiecutter repo for ease in making new projects

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Sep 13 05:08:27 UTC 2013

Hey everybody!

You know how, when you want to make a new project, you basically take an
existing one, like nova, copy files, and then start deleting? Nobody
likes that.

Recently, cookiecutter came to my attention, so we put together a
cookiecutter repo for openstack projects to make creating a new one easier:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/cookiecutter

It's pretty easy to use. First, install cookiecutter:

sudo pip install cookiecutter

Next, tell cookiecutter you'd like to create a new project based on the
openstack template:

cookiecutter git://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/cookiecutter.git

Cookiecutter will then ask you three questions:

a) What repo groups should it go in? (eg. openstack, openstack-infra,
stackforge)
b) What is the name of the repo? (eg. mynewproject)
c) What is the project's short description? (eg. "OpenStack Wordpress as
a Service")

And boom, you'll have a directory all set up with your new project ready
and waiting for a "git init ; git add . ; git commit"

Hope this helps folks out - and we'll try to keep it up to date with
things that become "best practices" - patches welcome on that front.

Monty