[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Generalize config file settings

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 15:36:51 UTC 2013

DevStack has long had a config setting in localrc called EXTRA_OPTS that
allowed arbitrary settings to be added to /etc/nova/nova.conf [DEFAULT]
section.  Additional files and sections have recently been implemented with
a similar scheme.  I don't think this scales well as at a minimum every
config file and section needs to be individually handled.

I'd like to get some feedback on the following two proposals, or hear other
ideas on how to generalize solving the problem of setting arbitrary
configuration values.

a) Create conf.d/*.conf files as needed and process each file present into
a corresponding config file.  These files would not be supplied by DevStack
but created and maintained locally.

Example: conf.d/etc/nova/nova.conf:
[DEFAULT]
use_syslog = True

[osapi_v3]
enabled = False

b) Create a single service.local.conf file for each project (Nova, Cinder,
etc) that contains a list of settings to be applied to the config files for
that service.

Example: nova.local.conf:
# conf file names are parsed out of the section name below between '[' and
the first ':'
[/etc/nova/nova.conf:DEFAULT]
use_syslog = True

[/etc/nova/nova.conf:osapi_v3]
enabled = False

Both cases need to be able to specify the destination config file and
section in addition to the attribute name and value.

Thoughts?
dt

[Prompted by review https://review.openstack.org/44266]

--