[openstack-dev] [heat] Comments/questions on the instance-group-api-extension blueprint

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 11 18:59:53 UTC 2013

Yes, I've seen that material.  In my group we have worked larger and more
complex examples.  I have a proposed breakout session at the Hong Kong
summit to talk about one, you might want to vote for it.  The URL is
http://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-hong-kong-2013/become-a-speaker/TalkDetails/109
and the title is "Continuous Delivery of Lotus Connections on OpenStack".
We used our own technology to do the scheduling (make placement decisions)
and orchestration, calling Nova and Quantum to carry out the decisions our
software made.  Above the OpenStack infrastructure we used two layers of
our own software, one focused on infrastructure and one adding concerns
for the software running on that infrastructure.  Each used its own
language for a whole topology AKA pattern AKA application AKA cluster. For
example, our pattern has 16 VMs running the WebSphere application server,
organized into four homogenous groups (members are interchangeable) of
four each.  For each group, we asked that it both (a) be spread across at
least two racks, with no more than half the VMs on any one rack and (b)
have no two VMs on the same hypervisor.  You can imagine how this would
involve multiple levels of grouping and relationships between groups (and
you will probably be surprised by the particulars).  We also included
information on licensed products, so that the placement decision can
optimize license cost (for the IBM "sub-capacity" licenses, placement of
VMs can make a cost difference).  Thus, multiple policies per thing.  We
are now extending that example to include storage, and we are also working
examples with Hadoop.

Regards,
Mike