[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Need some clarity on security group protocol numbers vs names

Arvind Somya (asomya) asomya at cisco.com
Wed Sep 11 14:15:11 UTC 2013

Hello all

I have a patch in review where  Akihiro made some comments about only restricting protocols by names and allowing all protocol numbers when creating security group rules. I personally disagree with this approach as names and numbers are just a textual/integer representation of a common protocol. The end result is going to be the same in both cases.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43725/

Akihiro suggested a community discussion around this issue before the patch is accepted upstream. I hope this e-mail gets the ball rolling on that. I would like to hear the community's opinion on this issue and any pros/cons/pitfalls of either approach.

Thanks
Arvind