[openstack-dev] [savanna] Program name and Mission statement

Dmitry Mescheryakov dmescheryakov at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 11 09:55:28 UTC 2013

Mike, and if you looked up 'compute' in dictionary, you would never guess
what OpenStack Compute does :-).

I think that 'Data Processing' is a good name which in short describes what
Savanna is going to be. The name 'MapReduce' for the program does not cover
whole functionality provided by Savanna. Todays Hadoop distributions
include not only MapReduce frameworks, but also a bunch of other products,
not all of which are based on MapReduce. In fact the core of Hadoop 2.0,
YARN, was built with idea of supporting other, non-MapReduce frameworks.
For instance Twitter Storm was ported on YARN recently.

I am also +1 on Matthew's mission proposal:
>> Mission: To provide the OpenStack community with an open, cutting edge,
performant and scalable data processing stack and associated management
interfaces.

Dmitry