[openstack-dev] [Nova] FFE Request: utilization aware scheduling

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 13:57:54 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 07:07 AM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
> On 06/09/13 11:28, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Wang, Shane wrote:
>>> Hi core developers and everyone,
>>>
>>> Please allow me to make an FFE request for adding utilization aware scheduling support in Havana.
>>>
>>> The blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/utilization-aware-scheduling.
>>> [...]
>>
>> This is a bit in the same bucket as the hyper-v-rdp-console above...
>> It's a significant feature but it's not critical to the success of the
>> Havana integrated release (doesn't affect other projects), and it looks
>> like it still needs a significant review effort before it can be merged.
>>

> There seems to be a pretty fundamental disagreement on the approach of
> the first patch in the series, and it was stated several times[1] that
> the issue needs consensus that we were hoping to reach on the summit or
> on the ML and that it was too late in the H cycle to be proposing such
> changes.
>
> With this in mind (unless I am missing something, of course) I don't see
> how we could suddenly decide to merge this. I don't think this is
> related to code quality in any way, as Shane seems to imply in the first
> message, but the lack of agreement on the approach.

Agreed with points from Thierry and Nikola.  We definitely need
consensus here.  I'm also quite concerned about the amount of review
time this will require to get it right.  I don't think we can afford to
do that and I definitely don't want it to be rushed.  I think this
should wait for Icehouse.

NACK on the FFE.

Russell Bryant