[openstack-dev] [Nova] FFE Request: hyper-v-remotefx

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 11:26:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:56:10AM +0000, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
> The RemoteFX feature allows Hyper-V compute nodes to provide GPU acceleration to instances by sharing the host's GPU resources.
>
> Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/hyper-v-remotefx
>
> This feature provides big improvements for VDI related scenarios based on OpenStack and Hyper-V compute nodes.
> It basically impacts on the driver code only plus an additional optional scheduler filter.
>
> A full architectural description has been added in the blueprint.
>
> The patch has been published during H3 on Aug 18th and initially reviewed
> on Sept 4th with some very good ideas for improvements at a larger scale,
> subsequently implemented on the same day, unfortunately too late in the cycle.

Simply adding the blueprint description is not sufficient to remove
my objections. The patch as proposed is too incomplete to be merged IMHO.
I pointed out a number of design flaws in the review. The updated info in
the blueprint just re-inforces my review points, to further demonstrate
why this patch should not be merged as it is coded today. It will require
non-negliglable additional dev work to address this properly I believe,
so I'm afraid that I think this is not suitable material for Havana at
this point in time.

Regards,
Daniel